"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison
"I have found that people who can successfully resist temptation invariably lead depressingly stunted lives." — C.D. Payne
"So don't weep for me now, my friends, because science insists that I have not died.
Energy just always changes state and I refuse to believe that human consciousness is the sole exception to this universal law."
- Mark Millar
"Do only butterflies die in flames? What about those devoured by the flames within them?" - E.M. Cioran

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Quest Called Tribe

Ho hum, Indians win.  Yawn, they're 12-4, 2 games up in the Central.  I'm getting pretty bored with all of these starting pitchers throwing into the 7th inning.  At least Carlos Carrasco (6.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, ) mixed it up tonight by giving up the lead in the sixth, but that doggone bullpen just refuses to blow up.  No offense to Chad Durbin, who reeks like the 3 month old mushrooms that I found in the back of my refrigerator.

It is mind boggling to me how many plays I have seen this season that have been unlike any I have seen before.  Today, with runners on first and second and 1 out in the 7th, Matt LaPorta fielded a grounder and fed Asdrubal Cabrera at second with an atrocious throw.  Despite the fact that AzCab dragged his foot as he crossed the bag, the second base ump called Billy Butler safe.  The return throw to Rafael Perez, covering first, was late.  Unfortunately for KC, Butler never got the memo on the safe call and wandered off of second base, assuming himself to be out.  Asdrubal inconspicuously motioned for the ball and, after Perez slung it over, tagged Butler for a much needed second out.  For all of his work, the official scorer charged Cabrera with his second error of the day year.  Really?

As Jack Hannahan continues to regress to the mean at the plate, it has become more and more clear that his is the locker to be red tagged when Jason Donald is ready to return.  Luckily for Jack, who has become a fan favorite because of his slick glove work and early power, Donald strained his left groin (ouch!) as he rehabbed in Columbus the weekend.  Speaking of which, the home opener goodies are on the way.  No excuse, but my temp was 104 today.  I was delusional and tried to fry bacon on my forehead, so I chose not to futz with y'all.

While I do feel bad for Travis Buck, the presumed demotee when Jeanmar Gomez is officially recalled to start on Tuesday, I am very much looking forward to getting a closer look at the guy's game in person.  Buck had a phenomenal spring and was absolutely destroying the ball when the Tribe was in town for the exhibition.  Similar to the Durbin/Frank Herrmann situation, Austin Kearns is pushing Buck back to AAA in a move that is all about business and not baseball. 

Does Joe Smith really throw 93 with that motion?  How does he not get literally everyone out?

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment