"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison
"I have found that people who can successfully resist temptation invariably lead depressingly stunted lives." — C.D. Payne
"So don't weep for me now, my friends, because science insists that I have not died.
Energy just always changes state and I refuse to believe that human consciousness is the sole exception to this universal law."
- Mark Millar
"Do only butterflies die in flames? What about those devoured by the flames within them?" - E.M. Cioran

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Quest Called Tribe

As I resurfaced from my doldrums, I found the least likely ambassador of victory pitching for the Indians.   I guess that the Tribe could have re-acquired Andy Marte and send him to the hill rather than Carlos Carrasco.  Andy could have throw 8.1 3 hit innings and stopped the losing streak that I remain purposefully ignorant as to the length of.  That would have been a slightly less predictable, but not much.

Oh, good lord, winning feels so wonderful.  I had forgotten.

Sure, the good guys managed only four hits of their own in a 1-0 victory. Sure, over the past six games (dammit, I just had to research and discover that the losing skid had stretched to 5) the offense has produced 1.8 runs per and batted at a woeful .184 clip.  Sure, Manny's boys have dropped 10 of 13 and have been left clinging to a one and a half game lead in the central.  But, help, my friends, help and hope are on the way.  While a corresponding roster move has yet to be announced (bye-bye, Adam Everett), Cord Phelps has packed his bags and received his well-wished.  Cord Phelps, ladies and gentlemen, is on the way to Cleveland.  I am not here to anoint him as the savior, though it might seem like that from the build-up accompanying the prolonged procrastination of the Indians front office.  Phelps is here to do three things: (1) hold his own two or three games a week in rotating platoon at second and third, (2) lead the charge of the youth movement (can't do it from the DL, Alex) and (3) most importantly, hit the goddamn baseball.

When last we spoke, before I was once again swallowed by the abyss, I called for three roster moves.  One, now, is done.  Nick Hagadone earned his second AAA yesterday with two scoreless innings and should still be on board by August.  Chad Durbin remains gainfully employed despite not pitching in a meaningful situation in a month.  He has slid into the garbage role formerly held by Justin Germano and, two scoreless innings over the weekend notwithstanding, has continued to pitch like complete refuse.  Carrasco's performance tonight, combined with Zach McAllister's first poor outing of the season on Sunday (5 IP, 12 H, 7 ER) and the seeming regression of Josh Tomlin makes move #3 seem foolish and impulsive.  Even so, I stand by the assertions that Carrasco is a long way from consistent success and McAllister will make a positive cointribution in 2011.

Expect a brief rundown on the Tribe's mid-round picks and round-up of minor league actions tomorrow.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment