"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison
"I have found that people who can successfully resist temptation invariably lead depressingly stunted lives." — C.D. Payne
"So don't weep for me now, my friends, because science insists that I have not died.
Energy just always changes state and I refuse to believe that human consciousness is the sole exception to this universal law."
- Mark Millar
"Do only butterflies die in flames? What about those devoured by the flames within them?" - E.M. Cioran

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zero Needs Phil-ed



As far back as December, I had been spitballing with my boys about what the Browns might do with their top ten draft pick.  We were all in agreement that the team had two glaring needs: pass rush and wide receiver.  Initially I argued for the DE/LB as the Brownies had allowed 220 ypg through the air and an 84.8 opponents passer rating.  Gradually, I was swayed by the alternative, both because of the talent available and the need to keep the defense honest and, thereby, Peyton Hillis alive.

We all spent the past few weeks hoping that the Bengals would come to their senses and recognize that, even if they drafted the best wideout available, they have no one to throw the ball.  No such luck.  AJ Green was gone.  Patrick Peterson (for those who prescribe to the best available philosophy) was gone.  Then came the trade (ugh).  At that point at least, we thought the Browns still had their heads on straight and believed they could get the talent that they needed deeper in the draft to build toward a more sustainable culture of winning.

As pick #27 approached, I kept my fingers crossed with team after team passing on Da'Quan Bowers (the knee y'know).  Then, again, a trade (ugh).  Maybe the Brownies (as Mel Kuiper suggested that they might) felt that they needed to move up to get their pass rushers.  Way to be aggressive and get you man.

But, no.

No.  No.  No.

As the Madden '12 cover so eloquently put it, "With the 21st pick in 2011 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select - Phil Taylor, defensive tackle, Baylor."

What?  What?!  Haven't I been told that Dick Jauron is going to run a 4-3?  Didn't we let Shaun Rogers walk away?  Isn't Ahtyba Rubin supposed to be one of our best defensive players?  What the hell is going on?

Round one over.  Pass rusher?  Nope.  Wideout?  Nuh-uh.  I wish that I could have faith in the organization, but, alas, I do not.

I'm going to focus on my 16-8 Indians.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment